Tuesday 25 January 2011

The first half of the residency



15th of January 2011

The residency began with the feeling of being slightly overwhelmed and wanting to do everything at once. I was mainly torn between spending time doing various things at the studio but also wanting to go out exploring Aberystwyth and the surrounding area. It took a couple of weeks to settle in and arriving at a sense of balance. My most memorable day so far was the first day of heavy snow when me and Kate went for a walk along the beach. I had never seen snow on the beach before, and it seemed quite surreal. The snow looked like a frozen wave running towards the sea.



In my work at the residency so far I have been exploring ideas to do with the way that space is represented in pictures. I usually work in paint on canvas but was keen on using the time here to work with other media. Amongst other things, I have been making collages which occupy a three dimensional space, based on the idea of the panoramic view. I’m not sure where they will lead – I’m using the time and freedom at the residency to experiment rather than trying to reach a definite conclusion.










No comments:

Post a Comment